Students Leave Early From Prom

Molli Carr, Reporter

Prom comes around once a year, and it’s back again! Girls rush to get their dresses and jewelry, and guys rush to rent their tux. Every year Prom is held at a different location. This year’s prom is to be held at the Farmington Club. With prom being held from 7-11 pm, students arrive on time and spend the evening dancing, eating, and hanging with their friends. “We usually have the place until 11 pm, and we encourage the kids to stay the whole time,” says senior advisor and history teacher Dennis Fowler. Last year’s prom was held at the Cornucopia in Torrington and students were seen leaving well before 11 pm. School administrators encourage safe activities after prom, and because students were leaving early questions raised as to where they were going.
“I have seen students leave early, I don’t understand it, where else are you going to go.  They think the grass is greener at the after prom activities. At my prom we stayed the whole time and then camped on the beach afterwards,” says Jamie Mischke a science teacher at Lewis Mills. This year prom tickets are $64 per person and some students participated in fund raisers to lessen the cost. Two recent fundraisers this year includes selling butter braids and selling Spartan cards which offered discounts to local businesses around Connecticut. “I think if you leave really early you are not getting your money’s worth and prom is what you make out of it. It could either be fun or boring,” said senior Sage Iacovazzi.
After prom ends, many students attend parties, go to the beach, go camping, or stay overnight at hotels. “It takes creativity; I think to come up with a plan. We were considering a drive in movie, the beach, and even a carnival. I think people get so excited, they leave prom earlier than usual,” said senior Kelly Gerrity. It will be interesting to see what students decide to do this year at prom. “I am so excited for prom I can’t wait! I am definitely staying the whole time,” laughs senior Mika Martin