Dessert with Disney

Alexandra Pelchar, Reporter

With the decorations set, the costumes on, and the food out; everything was ready. All that was needed were the smiling little kids, eager to meet their heroes (and heroines). In a long story short, they came. All of them, wearing their very own dresses and costumes, just flourishing at the chance to meet the very same characters that inspired them. All the students remained in excellent character, both smiling for pictures and fulfilling the imagination that filled the air with every child that walked through the door.

All the Disney classics you’ve grown up enjoying were there, from Mickey and Minnie Mouse (John Ververis, Erica Vecchio, and Emma Kryzanski) to every Anna and Elsa from Frozen; all with the help from none other than Lewis Mill’s best. Both the Student Council and Link Leaders worked hand in hand to put on this event, which took place Friday, September 25th. Even after sports games were over, students came to help out and support this occasion. There were huge arrivals from many of the girls from the field hockey team, and well as the soccer team, and many other sports that took place tonight.

However, the work you saw that night took much more exertion than meets the eye. In the days prior, student would use their free time to help decorate the gymnasium. Each bleacher was covered with colorful paper, designed to capture the spirit with every character. Even afterwards, people stayed behind to help clean up, put away the costumes, and finish off the food. All this hard work was definitely worth it, for Student Council and Link Crew, who earned $1400, and sold out of their 200 tickets online. This success was both earned and needed after the small disappointment of the annual Back to School Dance. Nevertheless, everyone both worked hard and had a lot of fun that night.

This would mark the first year that the “Dessert with Disney” ever took place. Angie Vassar, director of Student Council, created this event after hearing of the success that it provided to other schools. This will almost definitely become an annual event. In the Gymnasium, each character would stand in front of their own background, but this didn’t stop them from visiting other characters or walking around. Many different and well-known Disney princesses and even Prince Charming, junior, Kevin Kryzwick, all stood together, open to pictures and conversations with the excited visitors. All students, kids, and parents who had attended clearly enjoyed themselves at the event. We even had Elmo, from the popular kid’s show, Sesame Street, there for the young kids. Not only that, but in the cafeteria, the promise of dessert was satisfied. Food covered the high table, inviting to all kids, parents, and staff members to grab a bite to eat.

For a first time occasion, the Student Council and Link Leaders did a fantastic job, in both assigning the staff and fulfilling above and beyond requirements. This is definitely something any child would enjoy, bringing magic to our school.