We’re All “Under One Sky”

LSM Hosts World Wide Program On Global Initatives

Alexandra Pelchar, Public Relations

Global initiatives including ways to end hunger, to empower women, to fund education within communities that lack quality schools, and to promote a sense of unity on a global scale might be taken for granted by a well-rounded society in Burlington or Harwinton, CT.  Even though we might consider our district as prestigious compared to less fortunate communities, citizens of these towns voice support for those in need locally and around the world.

Lewis Mills High School and the local community were honored to host a special program called Under One Sky, which works to address world hunger, education, and civil rights, which concern everyone. Mrs. Kelly Smith, Wellness Teacher at HarBur Middle School, and the Humanitarian Club from Mills hosted the event, with help from volunteers from Harbur. On September 4th in the Lewis Mills Auditorium, the program help spread awareness about problems affecting people all around the world: problems we can solve. This was demonstrated by powerful speeches, songs, and even a traditional African dance.

Under One Sky is a program that is spread through over 70 countries and all over the U.S. However, Lewis S. Mills is the only place in Connecticut that is hosting the organization, which is run by Model UN and directed by Kelly Smith. While there are many goals of Under One Sky such as ending hunger and empowering women, the number one goal is to end poverty. It is a known fact that about 22% of the world’s population lives on only about $1.25 per day. In an average town like Burlington, that may only be about enough to buy you one bottle of water or an apple or two for an entire day. This doesn’t include any other necessitates either like clothing or housing. Under One Sky is working to fix this by not only providing donations, but stabilizing communities, providing medications to prevent diseases, and put children in schools, to try and provide them a better future. There was an excellent demonstration shown where kids from HarBur Middle School took the stage. There were maybe 50 of them, and all the lights were dimmed. Suddenly, half the children on stage turned on their flashlights, pointing them up to the sky, while the other half remained dark. This symbolized how much the Under One Sky program has helped the people in the world, but also how much work still has to be done, and how its is only us who can help.

The name Under One Sky itself is very fitting for this particular program in my own opinion. It represents a state of unity, which has worked to even bring both Lewis Mills High School and HarBur Middle School together, just to present to the program in the LSM Auditorium on Thursday Night, September 24th. Mrs. Smith, gym teacher of the Middle School, and director of this presentation, states, “Tonight was such an exited evening for me. I’m most exited that I could get t he students involved. When they asked me to put on this presentation, I thought this was a great opportunity for the kids in Region 10.” Although the Model UN in the High School put this together, the Middle School drew in some entertainment to the program by preforming a traditional African dance, Singing, and so much more.

Even Humanitarian club got some action in Thursday’s exhibition. With a great public speech presented by Jack Jenetta, the Humanitarian club’s president, it not only corresponded wonderfully with the prior program, but also shed some light on how even in just your community you could make a difference. Although, I could list what you could accomplish, I feel that is was essential to be there in order to really understand how you can help. “Humanitarian Club is where we try to help people on a global scale; not just people in our community” – Morgan Micari. In a way, this club is trying to accomplish the same this and Under One Sky; universal relief from the troubles that face people all over the world.

“Students would like to Light the way “ to make a difference. This was said that night, and in many ways, this is true. All the people that were there to help that night were presenting this organization because they believed in it. After talking with a member of the audience, Sophie Schroeter from Germany who is in America for a study on work, she said “ I’ve never heard about that organization before so it was great to come here to hear about something as great as this.” Remember: Not everyone can enjoy the simple pleasure such as a full stomach, so it will take the unity of us all working together to make things right, because we are all living Under One Sky.