Clowns in Connecticut?

Stock photo

Clowns have a new reputation.

Eli Jones, Staff writer

Recent threats and rumors about allegedly murderous and nefarious clowns have led to a fearful development among the students of Lewis Mills. Students buzzed about the lurking dangers that could be around the next corner: the not-so-hysterical face of a clown.

In an email from school administration in the weeks before Halloween, it was made clear that these rumors are just that, rumors. They were initially encouraged by an Instagram post forwarded by a Newington middle school student, according to school officials.

However, these tweets and posts have been greatly popularized among the students and blown out of proportion. Junior Ben Atlas says, “I think clowns have a certain integrity about them that people are ruining, their purpose is to bring joy to kids, and these people are making a mockery of a valiant profession. I have nothing but respect (for clowns).”

Atlas’ view is shared among a vocal minority advocating for the clown’s humorous position in society.  The majority of this gossip stemmed from Quinnipiac University, where there was said to be a clown sighting as well as a resulting school lockdown. However, John Morgan, a spokesman for Quinnipiac, announced that after further investigation the clown remained unfound, according to the reassurance sent by Region 10 Superintendent Alan Beitman. Morgan also relayed that Quinnipiac did not go into actual lockdown. However, administration doesn’t clown around when it comes to security. After hearing these rumors, Naugatuck police told the public they would have an additional presence at surrounding schools. A number of other schools around the state included in these rumors have investigated and found nothing. Parents and students can rest assured that, while there are no verifiable security threats, our school systems and administration are ever ready for anything of the kind, said Beitman.

Clowns have a new reputation.
Stock photo
Clowns have a new reputation.