Mills Owns the Berkshire League

Cameron Greenwood, Reporter

Perfection is almost impossible to come by; every person and every team strives for it but very few ever reach it. For most schools it is a very big deal to have one team undefeated and it rarely happens, but at Lewis Mills High School we are lucky enough to have three undefeated teams. Boys and Girls Soccer along with Field Hockey have collectively won 35 of their 36 total games with the one tie coming from boys soccer against Northwestern.
“I think we started with high hopes but didn’t know exactly how well we’d do.” Senior captain of the Field Hockey team, Ally Jackson said. This success for the field hockey team didn’t come without some challenges along the way, graduating 11 seniors last year  and having such a small team was not a deterrent for these lady Spartans. Starting the season at Nonnewaug is never an easy thing to do but the Spartans managed a 1-0 win and this was the beginning of a 12 game winning streak. The lady Spartans, yet to be bested, play Thomaston at home this Tuesday.
Last year Lewis Mills girls soccer continued their normal dominance in the Berkshire League winning all 16 games in convincing fashion, but after a disappointing loss in the first round of states to a strong Weston team, and graduating 13 seniors, not many thought the Spartans would rise back to the top. But the team had no doubt in their mind. Senior Madison Hoyt had this to say “I think our desire to prove everyone wrong helps and the comeback of Coach Fowler, he pushes us more to be better than ever.”. The confident Spartans destroyed their stiffest opposition, Housatonic, 5-2 as well as another drubbing of Nonnewaug, 5-1. In the first two danger zones of the season the Spartans proved to everyone who was doubting their return to the top that they were there to stay. The spartan girls started the season 12-0 and MGSC looks to continue that record this Tuesday as they face third place Nonnewaug.
Many anticipated the Lewis Mills Boys Soccer team to be quite successful this year after only graduating 4 seniors last year, along with the return of star midfielder Jimmy Wilcox, but not many were still convinced after the first two games. An ugly 3-0 win in the first game against  now 0-10 Gilbert, and 3-2 win against now 3-8-1 Wamogo had many worrying that the high expectations for the Spartans had gotten to their head but the boys proved otherwise in their next 2 games. An 8-0 win against 4th place Litchfield and a convincing 4-2 away victory against title challengers Nonnewaug set the Spartan men back on track. Senior captain Jordan Sokol said, “We know we have what it takes to be a strong team throughout the tournament if we work together.”.  This determination and spirit should certainly help the boys with their final 4 games of the season. The Spartan Boys sit at 11-0-1 in first place in the Berkshire league. The boys hope to continue their winning streak this Tuesday against Nonnewaug at home.
Lewis Mills currently owns the Berkshire league in three sports lets all hope this dominance continues through States.