• January 11Rock Pop concert moved to Friday 1/12 at 7pm

• January 11Midterms moved due to snow days, tests will start Thursday 1/18 and end Tuesday 1/23

• December 4Steve Wyzykowski crowned Mr. Mills on December 2nd

Cycling through life

Senior Lane Maher pedals toward Cyclocross success

Lane races in Harbin Park, Ohio in October

Cyclecross Magazine

Cyclecross Magazine

Michio Agresta, Contributing writer

Pushing his body and mind to their limits is no abnormal feat for Lane Maher.

Lane, a senior at Lewis Mills High School, holds the honor of being ranked 2nd in the U.S. and 5th in the world for his age group in cyclocross. Cyclocross is a category of competitive bike racing that mixes aspects from both mountain and road biking. Participants race on a course usually around 3 kilometers long, completing multiple laps until a time limit of 35 to 45 minutes is reached. The bikes used in competition combine attributes of both road and mountain bikes to best suit the course that they are riding. It is not uncommon for the track to have pavement, grass, wooded trails, and even obstacles along the way requiring participants to dismount their bikes in order to complete the course.

Lane started his cycling career at age 5 when he began BMX racing in Torrington at Foothills BMX track, continuing for 5 years. After a two-year break from biking, Lane took up mountain biking at the age of 12.

Shortly thereafter, he started road bike and cyclocross racing when he turned 13. He has been competing in cyclocross ever since.

“I love the high pace of the races and the rough conditions that come along with it. When the courses get muddy or icy the bike is constantly sliding around and every inch of the course is a challenge,” said Lane. After several successful trips to different cities around the U.S., Lane took his career to the international stage in 2016.

Frank Tirrell
Lane takes the title at the first day of Longsjo Classic. Photo courtesy of Lane’s Instagram.

“I had applied to go to two races overseas in Sittard, Netherlands for October and December and I was selected for both,” said Lane. He placed relatively well in his first race, earning 7th place, however, for the second one he did not fair as well, moving back in the ranks. Nevertheless, he was not discouraged. Shortly thereafter, he raced in the World Championships in Luxembourg for the Junior Men age group, placing an impressive 17th place.

Ian Boswell, Lane’s coach and a pro racer for Team Sky Cycling, said, “[Lane] is a dedicated athlete that religiously follows his training plan. I have high hopes for his success in the coming years.”

If you were to ask just about anyone that is close to Lane, they would speak  similar praises. Turner Ramsay, Lane’s girlfriend and Cyclocross racer, acknowledges the hard work Lane puts in for all aspects of his life.

“Lane is the most dedicated person I know, it shows through his excellence in both cycling and school,” said Turner.

Lane often misses school days for races, but he never lets this slow him down. He stays committed to his education and challenges himself within the school, always staying on top of his work and consistently earning a spot on the honor roll.

“Lane is one of the most motivated and dedicated athletes I know. His work ethic is incredible and he goes after the goals he sets for himself. I learn a lot by spending time with him and I know he’ll go far because of his drive,” said Owen Giese, Lane’s close friend and fellow cyclist.

Lane has big plans for this upcoming year. He will travel to Reno, Nevada for the national championships, and then back to Valkenburg, Netherlands for the world championships, with many smaller races interspersed. He continuously trains, completing long more intense rides and then short sprint workouts the days leading up to a race.

“I’m hoping to podium at the world championships this year and win the national championships as well,” said Lane. For anyone who knows Lane they would agree that these goals are very viable. Only time will tell how far Lane will take his cycling career.