Par for the Course! Sophmores Put Numbers on the Score Card

Kiana Bolleyer

James Bolleyer taking a swing towards the green.

Kiana Bolleyer, Editor

After losing the season in 2020 due to Covid-19, the boys golf team was heavily populated by the sophomores, Class of 2024. Last spring season, there were 7 freshmen looking to start their golf careers here at Lewis Mills. Over their season, 3 of the freshman really made their mark by playing in matches and putting up good scores for our team.

Unfortunately, boys golf was moved to the fall season and the team lost one of their top golfers, Charlie Joiner, to soccer. Despite losing some players due to the season switch, the boys have been performing exceptionally well. Aidan Carrano and Eli Pellitier, the other top freshmen from the previous season, are continuing into their sophomore season representing the one and the two positions for the Lewis Mills Boys Golf Team along with sophomore James Bolleyer as the three. The team only has two juniors playing for the team; one of them, Jacob Hall, plays the four. Week after week, another sophomore, Liam O’Sullivan has secured the 5, the final position, leaving a whopping four out of the five positions overtaken by the sophomores.

The boys from the Class of 2024 are putting in a tremendous amount of work during practice and are actively competing for spots in matches. For example, players like Max Dinunzio and Patrick O’Sullivan have had the chance to play the 6th man for the team as well. While being a 6th man on the team doesn’t mean the player’s scores will count, it does mean that the boys in this position can get in-game experience, something that will be crucial to games in their later high school career.

The other players on the team are working harder than ever before, and are starting new beginnings. Many of the players this year are playing their first ever season of golf for Mills. Jake Rewenko is one of these players and is the only senior on the team this year. Shane Murray, the second junior on the team, is also beginning his golf career at Mills. Finally, only two freshman made the team, Alexander Parker, and Avery Tiso. All the boys are putting in amazing amounts of work at practice to better themselves at the sport, and as teammates. The Mills Golf team has a couple more matches this season and upcoming tournaments to put Mills on the board.

At a home match against Southington, Aidan scored 36, the par for the course, and also won medalist for that match. Most recently, the Mills Golf team scored their season low at a home match against Simsbury. In a sport where the lowest number wins, the boys’ performance has been astounding for such a young team in the CCC, and the team will hopefully continue this level of play.