Growing Up In Region 10

Alexa Mattiello, Journalist

Growing Up in Region 10

By: Alexa Mattiello

The most significant part of your life is when you’re young and growing up. During this time, you are constantly learning. Whether it’s how to solve a math problem or how to solve a relationship problem, you’re always absorbing life’s lessons. It’s important that during this vulnerable part of your life you are in a caring community, surrounded by those who love you. Region 10, otherwise known as Burlington and Harwinton, is a great place for a kid to grow up in.

Senior Rachel Lord has lived in Burlington her whole life. She is very active in the community and loves living here.

“I love the close knit community and going to all of the sporting events,” says Rachel. “I like seeing the high skill of the teams playing and being a part of the enthusiastic fan sections.”

18 year-old Morgan Baker has also lived in Burlington her whole life and says she doesn’t regret living in the area. Now some may think of our neighborhood as bland and boring but there are so many opportunities for activities less than ten minutes away in the neighboring cities.

“The mall isn’t far from our town and other towns like Canton, Torrington ad Farmington have the necessities,” says Morgan. “It’s a safe and reliable place to raise a family.”

One of the many perks to living here is getting to be a part of this close-knit community. Each town contains an elementary school and then they combine for middle school and high school. For 18 years you are with the same group of kids, growing closer each and every year.

“It’s both good and bad in my opinion,” says Morgan Baker. “Since we go to a small school you know everyone and everyone knows everyone’s business but at the same time it’s easier to have stable friend groups with a smaller amounts of kids.”

At one point or another every resident of this town has complained about living here but one thing I’ve noticed is that I live in a town that some people claim to hate at times yet they never seem to leave.

“I think a lot of people tend to stay here because they realize it’s a nice town for a family and they know that it is safe,” Baker says.

Region 10 is not perfect. Nothing is perfect. But both Rachel and Morgan agreed that these two towns are a perfect place to raise a family.

“I would definitely raise my family here. I think it is one of the safest places to live,” says Rachel.

“My parents won’t be living in Connecticut in the future so I don’t have any need to live here, but I would recommend this town to new parents living in Connecticut,” Morgan says.

So although region 10 may have its flaws, many people can agree that it is a wonderful place to grow up and raise a family.